Today was the bounce day going from LA up to SF just for a few meetings and then heading right back down to LA for a few more tomorrow so overall a long but good day. While I was in the Admiral’s Club (Think American You Bastards) in SF getting ready to head back to LA I checked in for a flight tomorrow and the exchange with the agent went like this –
- Agent – Can I see your ID sir?
- Me – Yes, here you go.
- Agent – Wow.
- Me – ………..
- Agent – I imagine you have quite a bit of trouble getting through security without a pat down.
- Me – Why yes that is correct.
- Agent – You don’t look like a terrorist in person but in this photo you sure do.
- Me – Actually, I’m not a terrorist in either.
- Agent – I’m just saying that you might want to smile a bit more.
- Me – I’m not a nice person so why bother.
- Agent – You seem polite.
- Me – Never mistake politeness for kindness or friendliness.
We then continued this conversation for another 3-5 minutes with her showing my lovely ID to 2 other agents and asking them their opinion on what I look like.
I am not exaggerating this either and it really did not bother me. My photo is not very warm and cuddly but it is accurate. I also enjoyed pointing out my brief thoughts on kindness vs. politeness as that is always something I like to stress. I will gladly hold open the door for you but keep in mind that I am possibly thinking about slamming it into your back as well. I just don’t act on it.
The amazing part to me is generally you do not mention the words “Bomb” or “Terrorist” in an airport in any way and here I was in the lounge hearing agents throw the “T” word around like I use the F word internally. Interesting but I am going to take the whole thing as a compliment in my slightly deranged mind.