I have wondered if I am a mild sociopath for a few years now and would like to delve into that. To calibrate the concept let’s take a look at the definitions around this word.
- Sociopath – A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
- Sociopathic Personality – a personality disorder characterized by amorality and lack of affect; capable of violent acts without guilt feelings (`psychopathic personality’ was once widely used but was superseded by `sociopathic personality’ to indicate the social aspects of the disorder, but now `antisocial personality disorder’ is the preferred term)
- Psychopath – A person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior
So from the above we get a simple understanding and see how the two keys are antisocial behavior + violence. Also I can note that a sociopath and a psychopath are essentially the same traits which I was not aware of. However, I cannot really find a definition for mild sociopathy although many people say that it exists. In my quest to find out about “mild sociopathy” I also looked into related qualities shown by sociopaths including –
- Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
- Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
- Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
- Conventional appearance
- Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
- Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim’s life
- Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim’s affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)
- Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
- Incapable of real human attachment to another
- Unable to feel remorse or guilt
- Extreme narcissism and grandiose
- May state readily that their goal is to rule the world
Is 6 out of 15 good or kinda bad? I think I might have some “mild” issues and need to stop reviewing this otherwise I will start to justify it to quickly and that only cements my position.