All the hubbub about Ben Affleck (Director – Argo) and Kathryn Bigelow (Director – Zero Dark Thirty) not being nominated for an Oscar this year is a bit annoying to me. I have yet to see Argo so I cannot make a full judgment on it but snubs happen all the times especially when only picking 5 directors per year (And the 5 this ear are a pretty good list). For Kathryn Bigelow is even more annoying as Zero Dark Thirty did not even deserve to be nominated as a Best Movie in my opinion.
Even if you think they deserved the nod think about these 3 actors who were totally screwed out of an Oscar in their respective years – These guys were NOT EVEN NOMINATED for these roles –
- John Cazale – Fredo Corleone – Godfather II – Robert De Niro won for Godfather II
- Ray Liotta – Henry Hill – Goodfellas – Robert De Niro won for Awakenings
- Martin Sheen – Benjamin L. Willard – Apocalypse Now – Al Pacino won for And Justice For All
However, the biggest modern day rip off to me is Leonardo DiCaprio. He has only been nominated 3 friggin times –
- Blood Diamond – Lead Actor – 2007 – Forest Whitaker won for The Last King of Scotland)
- The Aviator – Lead Actor – 2005 – Jamie Foxx won for Ray)
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape – 1994 – Tommy Lee Jones won for The Fugitive)
I can understand him losing in 2007 (Blood Diamond), disagree but can understand him losing in 2005 (Aviator – WHICH I LOVE) but how in the hell did he not win for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape in 1994…and to Tommy Lee Jones! Not cool.
Also 3 total nominations and none for movies such as –
- Inception (2011)
- The Departed (2006)
- J. Edgar (2012)
- Revolutionary Road (2008)
- Marvin’s Room (2007)
- Catch Me If You Can (2003)
- Gangs of New York (2002)
- This Boy’s Life (1993)
This to me is the biggest Oscar joke of all time (Minus George Lucas not winning in 1978 for Star Wars) so before you cry a river for Affleck or Bigelow put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Thanks again for stopping by the BM during Oscar week and remember to get your ballot in prior to the show!